As a Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeon, I’ve been treating sports-related injuries in youth athletes for my entire career. Unfortunately, injuries are an inescapable part of sports – at all levels of play. However, it is increasingly evident that many injuries in youth sport, especially those related to doing too much too often, are preventable! Appropriate protective equipment and following the rules and regulations designed for safety can help. But, far more impact can be made by providing the right information to coaches and parents who then can carefully guide youth to train and compete smartly. The result will be athletes who are properly trained, prepared, achieving their best and closer to remaining injury free.
Injury Prevention Resources
- Train Smart to Minimize the Risk of Overuse and Overload Injury in Sport
- Athletic Departments Must Design and Practice Emergency Action Plan
- Demise of the fittest: are we destroying our biggest talents?
- Girls in Sport – Injury Risk
- Injuries & Returning to Play
- Overuse and Overload Injuries
- Pre-participation Physicals
- Preparatory Conditioning
- Return to Play After ACL Injuries
- Return-to-Participation Considerations Following Sports Injury
- Summer Heat